How I grew close to the Lord
By Pamela Hill Kenya

March 30, 2010

Throughout my life’s journey, God has been preparing me for a time such as this. I have studied “to show myself approved” with Christians in churches, at retreats and seminary to prepare myself to minister to the people of my community and to any other community and other communities to which God leads me.

As a young child, I grew in Shiloh Baptist Church. In my Baptist family, I was oriented to the Christian lifestyle throughout the year in many ministries of the church. After school, my mother sent me many different church for cultural and arts activities. At all of the churches, I participated in daily prayer and Bible review. From these experiences, I developed the behavior of caring for the sick and needy. If anything was missing from my parents home or grandparents (these things that I share were always duplicates or extras), everyone knew that I had tried to help someone in need. I learned to have a good message with God sending me to help. *train up a child

During my adolescence, I was listening to a sermon when the Lord spoke to my heart and I accepted the Lord as my savior. I was an usher, greeter, cook and a listener to help everyone. I was in the Junior Missionaries, collected materials faithfully for the Lott Carey Ministries each year. In the Girl Scouts, I became the Chaplain and Hospitality Chairperson. God became first in my life more and more as I grew. Romans 10:9-11

As a young wife, I learned a new purpose for my exploration of worship centers. As a young mother, I continued exploring different worship centers. This exploration gave me resources to share the Good News with others. My husband and I were of different denominations, but we established a daily pattern of devotion with the Lord using the Daily Bread before starting our day.

My cousin Dorothy had been my second spiritual model as a Christian wife,but when I moved to another state I met the Mr. and Mrs. Benefee who invited me to join their worship center – Episcopalian. They had a happy, loving home. In this setting, I was trained and taught the new ministries--the significance of the altar, the prayers and outreach. Outreach is my ‘calling’ because in this setting, I can share with the participant how God has shown me the way and I can share the Word.

Throughout my life, wherever I lived I have always had a spiritual family to guide my spiritual growth. At Bethel AME Church, Ceceila Bryant utilized me in the Women’s Center. During this ministry I acquired the name of “Help Lady” because I would always listen to the concerns of others, pray for a solutions and move as the Lord would show me the solution.

I became ill and went back to the Baptist Church which was short-lived. During that period I volunteered at New Shiloh Baptist Church as a receptionist in the Outreach Center. All day long, I would share the Good News and resources. Then the Family Tree Stress Line became my path to share with others. As a member of AARP, I was signed to volunteer at the DC Convention Center. While walking through Union Station, I had a vision of the address for Howard University School of Divinity in red neon. On another day volunteering for AARP in a training session, the Spirit directed to an office several times during the day, and at end of the day I met a chaplain who told me about the CPE program. I prayed for the answer to what I should do first and how.

I returned to the Episcopal Church after I completed the program at Howard University School of Divinity. This time I took faith development classes. I have participated in the Altar Guild and as a Lay Ecumenical minister at St. James, Baltimore Hospitality Network at Nativity, Communion baker, Bridge and Union of Black Episcopalians at the Cathedral and at St. Andrew’s – Women’s Fellowship. One evening during the Lenten Season, I went to the Gift Shop at Good Samaritan Hospital after the service. I completed a volunteer form and received a call in a few days. (I had tried to volunteer at this hospital for years, unsuccessfully.) When the Lord shows his plan the doors are open, all things blossom.

I believe my call to ministry came in 1999 when I became ill and the doctors could not diagnose my illness. When I walk with a walker or crutch, I am happy because I know that I am doing the Lord’s work. This period is a time for me to slow down and see to God’s way. Moving slower, I concentrate on doing only the Lord’s work.